1. General Information
Pediatric Urology is a surgical branch dealing with prevention, diagnosis and treatment of both congenital and acquired diseases of urinary/reproductive system (genitourinary system) inchildren, more specifically, in an ongoing lifetime period starting from antenatal period (in the mother’s womb) until the end of adolescence,.
Pediatric urology is a relatively new scientific field in both Turkey and the World. As in many contemporary countries, pediatric urology training and health service is provided in both departments, pediatric surgery and pediatric urology, having certain features of education programs in Turkey as well .
Nowadays, as a result of close and careful monitoring of pregnancies, early diagnosis, follow-up and treatment of congenital diseases, can be more effective for the diseases related with pediatric urology. Renal enlargement (hydronephrosis) is a good example in this respect. In addition, accidental injuries, tumors, and infectious diseases of urinary/reproductive system are the acquired diseases (occurring after birth) included in pediatric urology.
2. Pediatric Urological Diseases
Excretory/Reproductive system diseases related with major pediatric urology concerns are listed below, taking into consideration the organs which they originated from.
- Renal enlargement (hydronephrosis)
- Kidney stones
- Cysts and tumors
4. Urinary Tract and Bladder Disorders
- Vesicoureteral reflux
- Upper urinary tract obstruction (ureteropelvic/ureterovesical junction)
- Lower urinary tract obstruction (posterior urethral valves),
- Dysfunctional voiding
5. Penile Diseases
- Urinary disorders associated with the urine hole opening (hypospadias, epispadias),
- Diseases of the foreskin (phimosis, paraphimosis, balanitis)
5. Testicular Diseases
- Undescended testis (cryptorchidism)
- Disorder of sex development.